IMPATIENT GUIDE: CHANGE YOUR LOGON BACKGROUND ON WIN 7
Here is an impatient guide for changing the background image on your login screen on Windows 7.Note: The image file you use should be a .jpg file and it should be less than 256 KB.
- Press WIN_KEY + R
- Type regedit, then hit ENTER
- Set or change the DWORD value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Authentication\LogonUI\Background\OEMBackground to 1
- Rename your picture file to backgroundDefault.jpg
- Copy your picture to %windir%\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds directory. If info\backgrounds doesn't exist you may have to create those directories. Tip: Press WIN_KEY + R, then enter the above path. This should open explorer for you.
- Log off or reboot your machine to see your new authentication/logon background.